Chevening Health Reform Fellowship 2024 Now Open at Oxford: Apply Now
The British Embassy and British Consulates-General in China have established strong partnerships with key Chinese institutions and leading UK universities. The Chevening Healthcare, Health Policy, and Health Reform Fellowship, hosted at the prestigious University of Oxford, is one such program.
Together, they facilitate mid-career professionals’ professional growth through specialized research fellowship programs. Generously funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office, this fellowship paves the way for transformative experiences and learning.
A Glimpse into the Chevening Health Reform Fellowship
The Chevening Health Reform Fellowship is a six-month endeavor aimed at mid-career professionals. It offers them a unique opportunity to become visiting fellows at the University of Oxford.
During this period, fellows delve into research on a pre-agreed topic within the realm of health and related social policies.
This topic should closely align with the UK government’s Global Health Framework. The ultimate goal is for the research to actively contribute to ongoing discussions surrounding health and social policy reforms in China.
Research and Collaboration
Fellows undertaking this fellowship are tasked with producing a scholarly paper, with a maximum limit of 10,000 words, written in English.
The chosen research topics should harmonize with the three key objectives outlined in the Global Health Framework.
Alternatively, they can focus on areas that promote collaboration between the UK and China in health policy:
- Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and the ‘One Health’ approach.
- Infectious disease surveillance, prevention, and control.
- Accelerating the development of vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics for new and emerging diseases.
- Climate change and its impact on health.
- Aging populations and the concept of ‘healthy aging.’
- Non-communicable diseases.
The Chevening Health Reform Fellowship provides a host of benefits to its recipients, including:
- Complete coverage of program fees, granting Oxford Visiting Scholar Status.
- Financial support for living expenses throughout the fellowship.
- Round-trip economy airfare from China to the UK.
- An allowance package to support research-related activities.
- Access to a rich program of cultural events and activities organized by the FCDO and the Chevening Secretariat.
To be eligible for the Chevening Health Fellowship, applicants must:
- Agree to abide by all program guidelines and expectations.
- Hold Chinese citizenship, reside in China, and plan to return to China after the study period.
- Possess a postgraduate (PG) level qualification or equivalent professional training/experience in a relevant field at the time of application.
- Exhibit substantial and meaningful professional experience of at least 5 years or be a currently enrolled PhD candidate (with no affiliation to a UK/EU or USA university).
Note: Those who have previously benefited from HMG-funded scholarships must wait for a 5-year gap from their first HMG-funded award before reapplying.
The Chevening Health Reform Fellowship application window is open until November 7, 2023.